Love your overlocker 💗
See Dates Below
Overlockers...its a love /hate relationship right? Well, we want to show you that it can be a relationship of pure love!
you will learn the basics of how to set up/thread your overlocker, how to problem shoot when it comes to common problems that crop up, such as tension issues and how to get the most out of your overlocker! All whilst making a gorgeous Tilly and The Buttons Romy Top! 😍 there a few different styles to choose from depending on your sewing level so please contact me if you would like help in deciding what version to make.
**you will need to bring your own overlocker to work on in this class ** (we have one overlocker available for use on the day if you don’t yet have one, please message before booking if you would like to use this)
“Upgrade your casual me-made wardrobe with this stylish (and comfy!) top and dress. The optional back ties or contrast binding add a fun twist to the classic Breton or t shirt dress.
Romy has a modern loose fit and high slash envelope neckline, with choice of cap, three quarter or full length sleeves for year-round style. Designed for knit fabrics, whip it up on either a regular sewing machine or overlocker (serger). Once you’ve made one, you’ll be hooked!” Text from tillyandthebuttons.co.uk
This sewing class isn’t for beginners to dressmaking and you will need to have completed a few dressmaking projects before attending this class. It is however suitable for those who haven’t sewn with stretch fabrics before or with an overlocker and would like to learn.
What will I learn?
- how to set up and thread your overlocker
- how to change threads
- 3 and 4 thread sewing and when it is appropriate to use them
- how to sew a garment with your overlocker
- checking and changing tension
- how to disengage your overlocking blade
- how to take body measurements and cut out your fabric. (We will be using pins and scissors but you are welcome to bring cutting boards and rotary cutters with you if you prefer to use them)
- how to sew together your Romy top using your overlocker
- how to use a twin needle on our sewing machines to edge stitch, creating a professional finish!
What do I need to bring?
- you’re own overlocker and manual if you have it
- fabric and matching thread (please see photos for fabric suggestions and length. We have the perfect fabric for this class in our fabric shop! come in for help and advice or checkout our online store!
- note pad and pen
We we will provide you with everything else you need including sewing machines for sewing with a twin needle and of course tea, coffee and something sweet!
There will be a lunch break where you can bring a packed lunch or visit a local shop/cafe.
Please contact me for any advise needed on fabrics or with any questions you may have.